• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

conflict of interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sarahnp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine. This concerns a real estate trust. My parents' names are both on it as; "Jane Doe Trust and as individual" and "John Doe Trust and as individual." My mother made my sister her co-trustee and my father made my brother-in-law. I am listed as a beneficiary. Since my sister and her husband are married to each other, is there a conflict of interest?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine. This concerns a real estate trust. My parents' names are both on it as; "Jane Doe Trust and as individual" and "John Doe Trust and as individual." My mother made my sister her co-trustee and my father made my brother-in-law. I am listed as a beneficiary. Since my sister and her husband are married to each other, is there a conflict of interest?
No .

Sarahnp

Thank you. I have to explain why it is not a conflict of interest to another listed beneficiary. How can I best explain it.

tranquility

I agree with the OP, it IS a conflict of interest.

The problem for the OP is, there's nothing inherently wrong with that.

When you get down to it, unless the trustee is not a beneficiary OR getting paid, all trusts have such a conflict.

tranquility

The only limitation is that the trustee cannot be the ONLY beneficiary. If the equitable and legal ownership become the same, they are said to merge. Merger will eliminate the trust.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">