• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conservatorship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

Yvonne Smith

My 77 year old aunt is currently in a nursing home facility in Birmingham,Alabama. She has no children and no siblings that are competent enough to handle her medical or financial
decisions. My brother and I were raised by my aunt,our mother's sister)and we are in need of legal advice on how we
(or even one of us )can obtain conservatorship on her behalf.

We were allowed to sign her into the nursing care facility
and we have been diligently making trips to Alabama to ensure that she is getting the proper care. I reside in
New York and my brother resides in Chicago, Illinois.

Her first 100 days of skilled nursing care has been covered
by the medicare benefits of her deceased husband's
Railroad Retirement medical benefits. This will expire
any day. We have submitted an application to medicaid on her behalf. However, she has property that will probably prevent
her from being approved. The property that she has is bequeathed to the two of us in her last will. We need to know how we can obtain legal authority to act on her behalf so that we can dispose of the property and use the proceeds to pay for her nursing home care.

We did contact and retain a lawyer in Birmingham over a
month ago to act on her behalf to petition the court for
my brother to be granted conversatorship since he is also
the executor named in her last will. The attorney has
made promises to give us a letter stating that the court
has been petitioned. We have yet to get any information or
documents from him. In addition, he has not returned calls.

My aunt, affectionately know as "DEAR", my brother, and I
would appreciate any advice or direction you can offer.

ALawyer

YOU DID THE RIGHT THINGS!!!!!

Keep pestering the lawyer -- call and confirm it by fax. If needed change lawyers. The lawyer can get it done. It is NOT brian surgery, but some lawyers are not good on follow thru. If you have a problem, contact the county bar association to complain.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">