• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contest the will? ? ? ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kriddick

My grandfather passed about 2 weeks ago and now my grandmother is passing also. My mother is trying to collect most all of her parents' estate. My mother has only one brother. He has been told all his years that the estate would be divided between them (the two). Now how will he get what belongs to him? She is trying to give him only 1/6 out of about 80 acres. He may also get the homeplace ( a 70 some year old home - needing much repair- no hvac at all). Please help, this is tearing away at the rest of us (the grandkids). We live in North Carolina.

ALawyer

It really depends on how title to the property was held and if there were Wills.

Your mother should get a lawyer in NC to assist her to handle the estate(s). It won't cost that much and will avoid a lot of hassle and family feuds.

If there were no Wills, typically the property would be divided amongst the children of the deceased (and descendants of any predeceased children) equally.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">