• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contesting for a share in the will - granddaughter-in-law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helpingmm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi all, this is my situation, regarding the will of my grandmother-in-law from a sold house:

My grandmother-in-law passed away last month, and the house where my husband, my mother-in-law, my grandmother-in-law(the one who died and owned the house), and I all live in, has just been sold. I, a granddaughter-in-law, was not in the will but I have extensively taken care of my grandmother-in-law as a caregiver for five years. In doing so, I was not able to work full-time or get a second job. Many distant relatives were in the will who hasn't had any contact with my grandmother-in-law in a long time.

Everyone knows this and I do have people who will vouch for me, if a witness(or representative?) is needed. I was very close with my grandmother-in-law, and everyone knows this also.

My questions are:

1. Do I have a chance to contest a share in the will?
2. If I do have a chance, what are the steps should I take? Should I contact a lawyer? Would it cost me anything even just to speak with a lawyer?

I am in a little financial trouble so I definitely appreciate any info. Thank you in advance.

anteater

1. Do I have a chance to contest a share in the will?
That is a non-starter.

You could possibly make a creditor claim against the estate for your services. But, in the absence of some sort of an agreement between grandmother-in-law and you that you would be compensated, that is a long shot.

2. If I do have a chance, what are the steps should I take? Should I contact a lawyer? Would it cost me anything even just to speak with a lawyer?
You can probably find a few attorneys that will give you a brief consult at no or low cost.

helpingmm

That is a non-starter.

You could possibly make a creditor claim against the estate for your services. But, in the absence of some sort of an agreement between grandmother-in-law and you that you would be compensated, that is a long shot.

You can probably find a few attorneys that will give you a brief consult at no or low cost.
Thank you so much :) I was thinking it was a long shot, but I would be more at peace, knowing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">