• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contesting Survivor Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaysadea

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Here's my situation. Several years ago my father died. My mother moved in with my sister, who lives 200 miles away from my brother and me.

I've only recently learned that the original trust created by my father was split into two trusts, known as A and B trusts, or Survivor and Bypass trusts. (I know this is old hat to most of you, but I'm just now getting up to speed.)

I also learned that my mother has named my sister as the sole beneficiary of the A trust, while she still claims an equal share of the B trust. For reasons I'm not going to get into, my sister has more than taken her fair share of the family assets over the years and her pressuring my mother into making her the sole beneficiary of the A trust is just another in a long list of abuses.

What are my chances of contesting the beneficiary status of the A trust? Because I was named in the original trust before it was split, do I have a right to contest the A trust?

Last edited:

tranquility

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Here's my situation. Several years ago my father died. My mother moved in with my sister, who lives 200 miles away from my brother and me.

I've only recently learned that the original trust created by my father was split into two trusts, known as A and B trusts, or Survivor and Bypass trusts. (I know this is old hat to most of you, but I'm just now getting up to speed.)

I also learned that my mother has named my sister as the sole beneficiary of the A trust, while she still claims an equal share of the B trust. For reasons I'm not going to get into, my sister has more than taken her fair share of the family assets over the years and her pressuring my mother into making her the sole beneficiary of the A trust is just another in a long list of abuses.

What are my chances of contesting the beneficiary status of the A trust? Because I was named in the original trust before it was split, do I have a right to contest the A trust?
Both trusts are not irrevocable, only one is. I assume both parents were in the original trust. On dad's death, it was split into two trusts. One where mom has full control and one where she only has some rights under the trust. Mom can change the one she controls.

On that one, if she changes it, you would have to prove she made the changes against her own will. Either she is incapacitated in some way or sister did things to trick her or otherwise overcome her will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">