• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contesting a will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tdahl

What is the name of your state? wisconsin

my grandmother wrote out a short will in which I question the wording. It states "In the event any of the beneficiaries precede me in death, their share is to be divided amoung the remaining beneficiaries. House and any cash remaining to be divided between the four: daughter, 2 granddaughters, and son (my father). Then it states my name shall receive $200.00. (I am a granddaughter also)

My father passed away a year ago. Am I entiled as a beneficiary?

Dandy Don

Your question needs clarification.

Are you asking if you qualify to be a beneficiary by being included in the term as part of the "2 granddaughters"?

Are there 2 other people besides you who could be named as these 2 granddaughters or not?

You already qualify as a beneficiary of the $200, since that seems to be an additional gift that is separate and distinct from the other mention as a granddaughter.

You should suggest to your grandmother that she help avoid causing any confusion by specifically naming the people she is talking about.

T

tdahl

contesting a will

My grandmother has passed away and the wording of the will is what I'm wondering about. She names my aunt, father, and aunts daughters as the 4 people to receive the cash and assets of the home. I'm wondering if I'm included as a beneficiary for the cash and home assets (because I'm the only living relative to my father) besides the $200, or if I even have a chance at contesting the will as is.

Dandy Don

If the phrase "per stirpes" was used in the will, then and only then would your father's share be able to be passed on to his descendants. Otherwise, it doesn't automatically transfer.

You have no grounds or legal basis for contesting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">