• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A couple of questions about my Father's will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jhr459

Texas

Do I have a right to get a copy of my Father's will. My Father remarried and my step-mother has not proferred the will. Do I have a right to it?

Also, if I was promised an item of personal property that was not listed in the will, am I SOL?

Betty

Texas

Do I have a right to get a copy of my Father's will. My Father remarried and my step-mother has not proferred the will. Do I have a right to it?

Also, if I was promised an item of personal property that was not listed in the will, am I SOL?
I just need to verify a few things. I assume your father has passed away. When did he die? Has the estate been probated - if so, when? (I'm not sure what you mean by step-mother has not proferred the will - do you mean probated or do you mean she has not offered you a copy?) Do you believe you are in the will?

jhr459

Sorry I wasn't more precise

My Father passed away less than a month ago, and I don't believe that the will has been probated yet. So, perhaps I am jumping the gun a bit - it is just that we have not had the best of relationships. We, the step-mom and I, have not been adversarial, but it is not affectionate.

Betty

You can verify if the will has been probated by contacting the county clerk's office at the courthouse in the county where your dad passed away. They would have a copy. Once the will has been probated, it becomes public info (record) & you can obtain a copy. If it has been probated & you are in the will, you will be notified.

lwpat

If she does not promptly file for probate, then you should file and ask to be named personal representative.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">