• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Create new trust or update old one?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dfranko

What is the name of your state? California

My wife and I created a revocable trust in 1991 and have not updated it since. We want to now bring it up to date. It was created using a lawyer who we now have no idea of where he is. I would like to update our trust by ourselves using software now available. Our situation would not be considered complex. My question is should we revoke the old trust and create a new one or can we just update the old trust even though it was created by a lawyer. Thanks.

HandyAndyGuy

As I understand it, a trust can be updated. And should be updated when circumstances change.

That is why I am online. I am looking for forms to update mine. You and I don't want to create new trusts because all our assets are registered in the names of the old trusts. We'd have to change everything to the new trust names and dates.

Let me know, please, if you find the forms!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">