• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Creating two duplicate trusts with different names

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cplus_man

State: Florida

I am the grantor of an existing irrevocable family trust created several months ago. The trust is funded with a single real estate parcel. I would like to create a new, separate family trust with a different name that would contain the exact same legal provisions as the first trust.

Can I simply make a copy of the first trust document, change the name on the copy, get all required signatures and notarizations, and have a new, separate, duplicate trust that I can fund with other assets?

My situation is that I have two separate pieces of real estate that I would like to hold in two different trusts to isolate liability from each property.

Your comments are greatly appreciated!!

State: Florida

I am the grantor of an existing irrevocable family trust created several months ago. The trust is funded with a single real estate parcel. I would like to create a new, separate family trust with a different name that would contain the exact same legal provisions as the first trust.

Can I simply make a copy of the first trust document, change the name on the copy, get all required signatures and notarizations, and have a new, separate, duplicate trust that I can fund with other assets?

My situation is that I have two separate pieces of real estate that I would like to hold in two different trusts to isolate liability from each property.

Your comments are greatly appreciated!!

Yes you can ... that's exactly what lawyers do every day.

cplus_man

So it's legal to just make a duplicate of the trust document myself, change the trust name on the duplicate, get signatures, and have a new, valid duplicate trust without having to pay a lawyer again?

I didn't want to put both real estate parcels in one trust, for fear that liability from one parcel could wipe out both if I happen to be underinsured. Could I even go so far as to create a third separate trust from the original to hold title to my vehicles? Is this an effective strategy to isolate possible liabilities (e.g. lawsuits) that could arise from the properties/assets held in each separate trust?

Thanks again!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">