• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

credit card debt of deceased

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

frazzled

My wife recently passed away leaving a substantial credit card debt behind that was totally unknown to me. I had no knowledge of the existance of these accounts nor was my name or signature on them. Am I liable for payment of these accounts. There currently is no estate set up. I am an Illinois resident.

D

depeche

I am an Illinois attorney. You are not personally responsible for her credit cards debts in her own name. Her "estate" is liable. Her estate consists only of property held in her sole name at the time of her death. In Illinois, if the total of those sole name assets are less than $50,000, then the executor or administrator can use a "small estate affadavit" to transfer the assets to the appropriate beneficiaries. However, the affadavit certifies that all debts of the decedent have been paid. So...did she have any assets in her sole name or assets payable to her estate?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">