• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CREDITORS RIGHTS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MULATTO

I am the creditor of an estate of a deceased in Edmonton, Alberta Canada. The deceased has been dead for over 2 years, the deceased had no will and letters of administration have not been applied for due to a possible pending litigation against the estate by a minor child survivor (not family of the deceased)
The deceased has a large amount of funds in his bank accounts so a right of offset was done on one of the bank accounts to pay out an outstanding debt at my branch. Suddenly Revenue Canada is coming forward and saying they are a priority creditor and the funds should be returned to the bank account for them. I was under the impression that Revenue Canada is no longer a secured creditor when it comes to estates and that they now have the same rights as regular creditors am I wrong?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">