• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody of child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

piyu42

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

NJ

we do not wish to leave the custody of our child to any of our family members/ friends, what else can we do to ensure that after us he/she is not exploited in any way and gets her rights properly handed down to her including her education and well being?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

NJ

we do not wish to leave the custody of our child to any of our family members/ friends, what else can we do to ensure that after us he/she is not exploited in any way and gets her rights properly handed down to her including her education and well being?
So, you intend for your child to just be abandoned to the foster care system if something happens to you?

You can certainly name a standby guardian for your child, but a court would still make a decision based on the best interest of your child, and if a court decided that one of your family members was the appropriate custodian, then that person would get custody.

You can set up a trust to control her inheritance to ensure that its used properly, for her benefit.

piyu42

Well thanks, it's just that any good lawyer and a trust guarded by some authority is a better option for us than our family members who always wanted our money and after us they would probably spoil our children and deplete them of their inheritance. How can we set a trust that ensures the money is well spent? Also can we set rules for eg, the child be sent to a good school/boarding to get proper education etc? Can we make a friend of ours his/her custodian?

Abandonment does sound harsh, but when both me and my husband comes from a broken family and my husband is the only earning member in his family things can get selfish with a huge sum of money in question, and so many mouths to feed (both of us have step brothers,sisters, unfortunately all of them are unemployed and poorly educated and rely on my husband for their every need.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">