• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad died with no will, does Stepmom get everything?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio, Geauga County

Dad died in June 2010 without a will in Ohio.

Remarried his 4th wife (Stepmom) in 1987, they were married until his death.

Dad had three kids from his 1st marriage and did not have any other kids. The 4th wife has two kids from previous marriage.

I am one of the three kids from his first marriage. There are sentimental items that I would like to have, but Stepmom has refused to talk.

House is worth 175 - 200k and I am sure his pension is at least 2500-3000k/month. Does his three kids from his first marriage entitled to anything? Stepmom is listed on the house with my Dad. Thanks in advance!
Im not sure what the law is in Ohio and I want to make that clear before I get your hopes up. But I went through the same thing in PA. Did your dad have a will? In PA when there is no will the total assets are split 50% to the wife / husband. Then the other 50% is split between the kids. Minus any outstanding bill the deceased had. All the kids were by my father, so I am not sure how that would have applied to stepchildren. The lawyer I contacted too me in for free as long as he got a percent at the end.

Proserpina

Im not sure what the law is in Ohio and I want to make that clear before I get your hopes up. But I went through the same thing in PA. Did your dad have a will? In PA when there is no will the total assets are split 50% to the wife / husband. Then the other 50% is split between the kids. Minus any outstanding bill the deceased had. All the kids were by my father, so I am not sure how that would have applied to stepchildren. The lawyer I contacted too me in for free as long as he got a percent at the end.

1. Please don't post to months-old threads.

2. If you DO post to someone else's thread, please make it pertinent to their state. Not yours.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">