• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad left a mess!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bonch

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon
Dad died and we don't have a clue! There is a limited liability partnership he had all 4 kids sign years ago. He did not own a business, I believe someone talked him into doing it to protect himself from creditors. None of us understand it, just signed like dad asked...There is also a trust. I'm worried the llp is a sham and we'll somehow be liable for his foolishness. How should we proceed?

bonch

There will definitely be medical bills (he died in surgery). Mostly concerned about past tax debt and liens he somehow avoided with the llp. He withdrew his entire retirement savings to buy his property (5 acres with modular home) outright. Don't think he ever paid taxes/penalties due from that. Also, purchased a motor home which he then let go back to the dealer. It was a loss for the dealer who then tried to put a lien against his assets. Thus the llp as far as I understand. When I inquired if his taxes for 2009 had been filed, I found out he hasn't filed taxes in years. I believe he just lived off his social security benefits, but don't you still have to file? He was 81 when he passed. Just worried he put us in jeopardy with a llp that will not legal. I read that if the IRS can prove it was set up to avoid known liabilities, it is void. Apparently there were certain obligations to maintaining the llp which I doubt anyone met.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">