• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dad left no will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

johnqpublic

Hello.

My father passed away and left no will. Do adult children receive anything, or does it all go to the spouse? The state is Minnesota. Thank you for your time to reply.

ALawyer

In most states the estate of a person -- the assets held in that person's individual name, and NOT as joint property or with a beneficiary designation -- are divided between spouse and children. The first $X usually goes to the spouse, with the rest divided. (The $X varies greatly by state, often from about $25k to $50k.) Assets held in joint name with right of survivorship go to the other joint tenant, regardless.

I am not a MN lawyer, so I do not know that state's precise split and suggest that you look at the State Law Center on www.FreeAdvice.com under MN and then "intestate distribution" to see what you might be entitled to, if anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">