• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad, Step-mother and a business - trust?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

terry073

What is the name of your state? FL

Briefly... my dad is in generaly poor health. He owns a business along with his wife 50-50. She has 2 sons, my dad has 4. We all get along... but the bottom line is, she's looking out for her kids if something happens to my dad.

Currently, he has no will or trust of which I am aware. Another glitch is that due to his poor health he is on disability so technicaly he does not work. So I assume that legaly speaking, she owns the company? I'm not 100% as to how they have it structured and I'm not sure how important this is when deciding his estate.

It is my dad's opinion that she owns 50% and can do with it what she wants just like he should be able to whatever he wants with his 50%. As far as house and personal assets, they obviously go to her. But what can he do trust wise in order to pass his half of the company along to his kids rather than it just going all to her and then to her sons.

Thank you in advance.

nextwife

Without reviewing the business operating agreement/partner, corp or LLC agreement for the business, none of us can know what happens upon the death of either owner. Dad needs to take his business papers and list of assets, both premarital and marital, to an estate attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">