• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad's creditors at my door in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Ruffian

My father died recently in PA. He had no assets except for an insurance policy which almost covered his funeral expenses, a modest checking account he shared with my sister, and a truck that doesn't run. Now his creditors, doctors and credit card companies, are contacting me demanding payment. What should I do?

ALawyer

My condolences.

Tell the creditors what you told us. You are not liable unless you signed for the obligations or took any of his assets.

And better yet, to save you grief, go to a lawyer who for a relatively few dollars can send out a letter to get these people off your back that says he is the attorney who has been asked by the heirs to represent the estate and as the estate has no assets (if that is the case) he is not even filing probate.

------------------
To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. This response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. As you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">