• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughters Inheritance after Mother re-marries

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flowerlady1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC :confused: I am trying to make sure that my daughter legally inherits anything... I re-married app. 10 years ago. My Husband has a very successful Business, and I receive a weekly payroll check, just like any other employee. He has purchased a couple of pieces of real estate after we married, and they are in both our names. I do NOT have a lifetime right to live in our home should he pass before I do. His will was made before we married: I have 1 son, he has 3 sons: All are 25 or older. One of his sons is the vice president of his company, and is also the Executor of his Fathers will~~I have heard his father say repeatedly that the executor of a will can pretty much make the other beneficiaries do anything that he says, concerning the will. My Husband says that he has told his Son that if something should happen to him first, to allow to stay in our home.... we all know that people do strange things when money is an issue. Seeing as how my Husband pays his son extra $$ at the end of the month to help him pay his child support, I don't expect him to honor anything his father asks him to do. The son is in his late thirties!! We are in the process of buying a parcel of land that used to be a part of my Grandfathers Farm...and my Husband has hinted around that I could take half of the money out of my personal savings to help purchase it. I make an average of 30K yearly, and never use any monies from the companies accounts. Any extra at all is always re-invested in equipment, etc, that his 3 children will inherit. My question is: Should I happily pay for part of this pending purchase with monies I have put in my savings account for my Daughters inheritance? I know that if I receive ANY thing from his will, it will be nothing short of a miracle. Please comment or advise..

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC :confused: I am trying to make sure that my daughter legally inherits anything... I re-married app. 10 years ago. My Husband has a very successful Business, and I receive a weekly payroll check, just like any other employee. He has purchased a couple of pieces of real estate after we married, and they are in both our names. I do NOT have a lifetime right to live in our home should he pass before I do. His will was made before we married: I have 1 son, he has 3 sons: All are 25 or older. One of his sons is the vice president of his company, and is also the Executor of his Fathers will~~I have heard his father say repeatedly that the executor of a will can pretty much make the other beneficiaries do anything that he says, concerning the will. My Husband says that he has told his Son that if something should happen to him first, to allow to stay in our home.... we all know that people do strange things when money is an issue. Seeing as how my Husband pays his son extra $$ at the end of the month to help him pay his child support, I don't expect him to honor anything his father asks him to do. The son is in his late thirties!! We are in the process of buying a parcel of land that used to be a part of my Grandfathers Farm...and my Husband has hinted around that I could take half of the money out of my personal savings to help purchase it. I make an average of 30K yearly, and never use any monies from the companies accounts. Any extra at all is always re-invested in equipment, etc, that his 3 children will inherit. My question is: Should I happily pay for part of this pending purchase with monies I have put in my savings account for my Daughters inheritance? I know that if I receive ANY thing from his will, it will be nothing short of a miracle. Please comment or advise..
I would only be willing to invest if the property was deeded in BOTH of your names. So that you were clearly an owner and could will your share of the property to whomever you like.

cyjeff

If your husband wishes to do so, there are ways to rewrite the will to address all of the issues you mention.

No, you don't have to include son in those discussions... and shouldn't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">