• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

death bed will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Ms Unknown

My uncle, that I do not know very well at all, had a will draw up by his attorney while my mother was on her death bed and there was no other family around. This took place in the state of VA. I'm sure she did not know what she was doing at the time or understood the will that was made up by his attorney. Also, as the power of attorney at the time he changed the beneificary of her life insurance policy to himself, it was originally to go to me, her daughter. He doesn't contact me or let me know anything that is going on with my money. He has also recently taken a job at the bank where my money is. I have no idea if the trust is really in my name or what is going on. If I question him he becomes very verbally abusive. Like he doesn't have to answer any questions I have. What can I do? Is changing my mothers life insurace beneificary legal? Do I have a chance of contesting the will? The money is not listed on the probate.

ALawyer

This sounds like CLASSIC fraud and you'll be wise to speak with a Virginia attorney near the locale where your mother died.

While deathbed Wills can be fully valid, the person making them must have been mentally competent and not subject to fraud or abuse or corecion or mistake or undue influence; depending on the cause of death and circumstatnces and timing, it is often easier to challange a Will that is made immediately before the death.

As for the changing of the bene on the insurance policy, that is HIGHLY suspicious and the same rules apply to powers of attorney. Also, powers of attorney automatically lapse on death and thus the dates may be critical. Get a lawyer NOW!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">