• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death of beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

curious46

State of Georgia. Brother left inheritance to sister. Brother passed away and sister passed 3 months later before estate was settled. Sister had a will (state of Florida) leaving everything to spouse. The brother's will left estate to sister or issues in stirpes. Should inheritance pass to children of sister or to the sister's spouse?

ALawyer

Many lawyers drafting Wills add a provision that a beneficiary must survive the deceased for a certain period -- sometimes hours, more usually a few days to 1 - 2 months -- to inherit. If there was not a 3 month provision then her estate inherits and it goes, sad to say, to her husband rather than her kids as that is what she wanted in her Will (assuming it is a valid Will).

C

curious46

Thank you for your answer. One more question, (State of Florida)
the spouse of the deceased sister will not produce the will to the appointed executor and the will has not been filed in probate. This was a supposedly a self produced will(computer type) that was signed and witnessed, but no else has seen a copy. Is this required to disperse the funds from the brother's estate?

ALawyer

I am not a Florida lawyer, but if I were Brother's executor I would NEVER turn money over to anyone other than the court appointed executor or administrator of Sister.

As for who would get what if Sister died without a Will, it depends on the size of Sister's estate. In most states after a spousal share, it is split among spouse and kids.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">