• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

death of debtor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

avgjoecool

What is the name of your state? Texas
I have a relative that made a loan of about $50k to his son which his two other children had knowledge of but may have no paper contract of proof. The son, Larry, died leaving a very large life insurance payment to his wife. She is well able to repay the father but may never acknowledge the debt. Larry's brother, James is witness to her affair before Larry's death. Is there any way to recover this verbal contract that Larry had with his father? Larry has two childen.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

avgjoecool said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
I have a relative that made a loan of about $50k to his son which his two other children had knowledge of but may have no paper contract of proof. The son, Larry, died leaving a very large life insurance payment to his wife. She is well able to repay the father but may never acknowledge the debt. Larry's brother, James is witness to her affair before Larry's death. Is there any way to recover this verbal contract that Larry had with his father? Larry has two childen.

My response:

Unless there is written evidence of the loan, and that it WAS a loan as opposed to a "gift", then more than likely, it won't be recoverable from the Estate, or from Larry's wife.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">