• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death, no will, property in Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Turner1

My grandfather died and did not have a will. He held the title to property in the state of Florida in which my parents (his daughter and son-in-law)lived since the home was purchased in 1977. My parents have paid the monthly mortgage directly to the mortgage company and noted on the check that the payment was for property under my Grandfather's name. The verbal agreement was that my Grandfather would "buy" the house and when my parents had made all of the payments, he would then sign the title over to them. He never signed the title over to them and the title is in their possession as he resided there several months out of the year. It was not his primary residence. Will the property have to go to probate or is there a joint tenantcy law in the state of Florida that would put the house directly into their possession? Would a will have avoided any confusion, or is a will invalid in the state of Florida when dealing with real estate property?

[Edited by Turner1 on 12-10-2000 at 11:49 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">