• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

death without a will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karijo73

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? illinois
My husbands, dad died 15 yrs ago, yesterday. When he died, he didn't have a will. we knew he had life insurance, and a pension from working at John Deere for 21 yrs. He had 4 adult children, and was remarried to a women with 2 minor children from previous relationships. After he passed, the wife, got, or took, everything.we wanted nothing to do with her, and severed all relationships. We were young, and naive at the time, and just assumed that had we been entitled to anything, that the lawyers, etc, would of contacted us, or something. we never saw a nickel. So, were we ever supposed to receive anything? what about social security? we now kinda feel like we have been robbed.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? illinois
My husbands, dad died 15 yrs ago, yesterday. When he died, he didn't have a will. we knew he had life insurance, and a pension from working at John Deere for 21 yrs. He had 4 adult children, and was remarried to a women with 2 minor children from previous relationships. After he passed, the wife, got, or took, everything.we wanted nothing to do with her, and severed all relationships. We were young, and naive at the time, and just assumed that had we been entitled to anything, that the lawyers, etc, would of contacted us, or something. we never saw a nickel. So, were we ever supposed to receive anything? what about social security? we now kinda feel like we have been robbed.
Your H, as an adult, was not entitled to social security benefits from his father.

It was FIFTEEN YEARS ago. Wow.

karijo73

yes, it was 15 yrs ago, thanks. as we were remembering him yesterday,on the anniversary of his death, we were all discussing it, and were wondering if we had been entitled to anything, and whether she had somehow deceived us, and kept what should have went to his children, and grandchildren. BTW, after wards, she bought a new house, went on shopping sprees,and bought custom hot rods for her 15 yr old son. we were young, and starting a new family, and struggling. my sister in law was barely 18, and a single mom. So, even though its been 15 yrs, doesn't mean that we wouldn't like to know whether she robbed us, or not. that's why i posted this question. to get answers. i wasn't expecting it to be patronizing.

Silverplum

yes, it was 15 yrs ago, thanks. as we were remembering him yesterday,on the anniversary of his death, we were all discussing it, and were wondering if we had been entitled to anything, and whether she had somehow deceived us, and kept what should have went to his children, and grandchildren. BTW, after wards, she bought a new house, went on shopping sprees,and bought custom hot rods for her 15 yr old son. we were young, and starting a new family, and struggling. my sister in law was barely 18, and a single mom. So, even though its been 15 yrs, doesn't mean that we wouldn't like to know whether she robbed us, or not. that's why i posted this question. to get answers. i wasn't expecting it to be patronizing.
Bummer you're not happy.

:rolleyes:

karijo73

I didn't realize they let children make post on this forum. I though it was a forum with knowledgeable adults. If there are any actual, adult professionals on here that have some knowledge about this, I'd love to hear from you.

justalayman

would you be better off knowing your husband would have gotten something but due to the delay, it is all lost or never really knowing at all?

here is something you can do to check on at least any property:

look up the deeds to any property he owned. If it was titled jointly with his wife, she rightfully took full possession. If it was as tenants in common or by himself, the family would have become partial owners of the property. If the family should have become part owners of any property, there are some actions that can be taken still.

Concerning items without title; it is simply too late to do anything about it now. Chances are (the family members) were due something from this source. Since the estate was without a will, the assets would be distributed per the laws of intestacy of the state of his residence. Most states do distribute some of the assets to children of the decedent.

but just the same; he may have had more debt than assets and all the assets were sold to offset and pay the debts.

life insurance policies are paid to the beneficiaries so if you didn't get any money from an insurance company, chances are you were not a bene. If there was any payout due to his employment, that too would go to a named bene and since you didn't get anything, the presumption is you were not due anything.

karijo73

Thank you for you response. we knew that we we passed the statue of limitations, as far as suing her for anything. we were just curious about whether we had ever been entitled to anything. thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">