• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

debt in death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

anp16

What is the name of your state? New York

My husband recently passed away after almost three months in the hospital. He went in for a pre-quthorized Stem Cell transplant for the treatment of Hodgkin's Disease. I am now receiving bills for payment from the hospital in his name. First, the hopsital did not always use covered doctors so the bills are not just for copays. Second, am I responsible for these bills at all?

lwpat

You are not responsible unless you signed an agreement with the provider. You need to review anything that you signed when he was admitted to the hospital. However, your husband's estate is responsible for the bills. In many cases providers will accept less than the amount invoiced. Consult an estate/elder care attorney in your area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">