• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debts attached to willed asset.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joey822637

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

My father recently passed and named me as executor. He willed my sister a horse, which is very past due on bills. We're talking about a couple thousand dollars. His estate has no cash value, so there is no money anywhere to pay these fees. I currently have a VERY reasonable offer from someone on the horse and my sister has no intention of paying the bills. To make these debts right, am I allowed to step in and sell the horse to pay off these debts? I see that executors are allowed to step in on estate property, but if it is willed, am I still able to sell the asset to satisfy a debt? Thank you!

anteater

He willed my sister a horse, which is very past due on bills.
The horse should be more financially responsible and pay its bills.

OK, sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Legitimate creditors get paid before bequests are fulfilled. If there are no other estate assets and sister is not willing to pay the debt, sell the horse.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">