• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debts Remaining After Parent's Death, No Will, Negative Net Worth, Oregon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PMartinJ

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? OREGON (for deceased); I live in California.

My mother recently died with a net negative estate value. The pertinent (I think) details are:

(1) My mother died in March 2005 in Oregon. She had been a resident of that state for about the past 10 years.

(2) Shortly before her death, she had about $10,000 - $15,000 in debt. During the last few days of her life, she incurred an additional (approximate) $20,000 - $30,000 in hospital bills.

(3) She had approximately $5,000-$10,000 in assets at the time of her death.

(4) Based on (2) and (3), she had an approximate net liability of $20,000 - $40,000 at the time of her death.

(5) I live in California, where I have been a permanent resident for approximately the past 15 years.

(6) My brother - an Oregon resident for 20+ years - made some end-of-life decisions as requested by the hospital where my mother died about 3-4 days after admission.

(7) There was no will.

(8) I have never been a co-signer for any of her debt.

(9) I have not had any contact whatsoever with my mother for the past 6-7 years.

(10) To the best of my knowledge, some official from the State of Oregon is currently making arrangements for the disposal of her assets.

Some family members are worried that her debt - especially the hospital bills -
may somehow be passed on to us, her only surviving family members.

Finally, my question:
Can I be liable for her debt?

Thanks for your assistance,
Martin

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

PMartinJ said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? OREGON (for deceased); I live in California.

My mother recently died with a net negative estate value. The pertinent (I think) details are:

(1) My mother died in March 2005 in Oregon. She had been a resident of that state for about the past 10 years.

(2) Shortly before her death, she had about $10,000 - $15,000 in debt. During the last few days of her life, she incurred an additional (approximate) $20,000 - $30,000 in hospital bills.

(3) She had approximately $5,000-$10,000 in assets at the time of her death.

(4) Based on (2) and (3), she had an approximate net liability of $20,000 - $40,000 at the time of her death.

(5) I live in California, where I have been a permanent resident for approximately the past 15 years.

(6) My brother - an Oregon resident for 20+ years - made some end-of-life decisions as requested by the hospital where my mother died about 3-4 days after admission.

(7) There was no will.

(8) I have never been a co-signer for any of her debt.

(9) I have not had any contact whatsoever with my mother for the past 6-7 years.

(10) To the best of my knowledge, some official from the State of Oregon is currently making arrangements for the disposal of her assets.

Some family members are worried that her debt - especially the hospital bills -
may somehow be passed on to us, her only surviving family members.

Finally, my question:
Can I be liable for her debt?

Thanks for your assistance,
Martin

My response:

Whew!!

All that, just to get this simple answer - -

No.

IAAL

PMartinJ

Oregon Attorney Has Convinced Other Heirs That They Need Protection...

Thanks, IAAL.

Perhaps surprisingly, an attorney in Oregon has convinced my brother (the only other heir) that he must spend $500 to $1,000 to have some legal service that will best protect him from claims for payment from my mother's creditors.

My brother is worried - for no good reason, apparently - that a creditor, especially the hospital, will attempt to collect payments on my deceased mother's debts.

I'm starting to wonder if this attorney is giving advice based primarily on (1) protecting my brother from my mother's creditors, or (2) to earn $500 to $1,000 in legal fees.

Hmmm...

KDIBBY

I Do Not Have Legal Advice But More Or Less Personal Advice. As Per Your Note You Had No Contact With Your Mother For Several Years. This Makes Me Very Very Sad As I Lost My Mother 9 Yrs Ago And Thank God That I Never Let Anything Prevent Me From Enjoying Time With Her Believe Me There Were Times When It Was Not Easy To Put Hurts Aside. I Pray That You Never Allow That To Happen To Your Relationship With Anyone Else Life Is Too Short And There Will Be A Time When You Cant Fix That. Forgive Me For Speaking My Mind.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

KDIBBY said:
I Do Not Have Legal Advice But More Or Less Personal Advice. As Per Your Note You Had No Contact With Your Mother For Several Years. This Makes Me Very Very Sad As I Lost My Mother 9 Yrs Ago And Thank God That I Never Let Anything Prevent Me From Enjoying Time With Her Believe Me There Were Times When It Was Not Easy To Put Hurts Aside. I Pray That You Never Allow That To Happen To Your Relationship With Anyone Else Life Is Too Short And There Will Be A Time When You Cant Fix That. Forgive Me For Speaking My Mind.

My response:

What's with all the initial caps?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">