• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deceased beneficary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bea

i reside in washington state, my daughter died in sept 2000, she is a beneficiary in my sister's will. my sister died nov 2000. i was told that since my daughter died without issue her share of the estate lapses. could you explain what this means?

A

advisor10

JUNE 9, 2001

DEAR BEA:

What state did your daughter die in?

Did your daughter have a will?

What state did your sister die in?

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

A

advisor10

JUNE 13, 2001

Without issue means your daughter dies without children.

Lapse means that her share of the estate might possibly go to someone else if she had no surviving relatives. If your daughter had a will that named someone beneficiary of her estate, then you need to ask the executor of her estate to possibly file a claim for these funds to see if the estate would be eligible to receive this money--it depends on how your sister's will was written--maybe your sister left instructions that if any beneficiary was deceased, then something else would be done with that money.

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">