• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deceased with joint account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Seanscott

What is the name of your state? indiana

My friend's father passed away last week leaving no assets other than some furniture and a joint checking account with a small balance. My friend is on the account title with her father.

I was under the impression that she could close the account, and take the amount deposited. The bank refused to let her do so.

Is she allowed to close the account and take the money? What is to stop her from writing a check to herself for the remaining balance?

Thank you

Dandy Don

Under the concept of right of survivorship, this account normally should become hers. Did the bank give her any specific reason as to why she could not withdraw the money? If they didn't then she needs to find out what their reasoning is, although technically there is nothing preventing her from writing a check for the remaining balance, unless the checks require BOTH account owner signatures at the bottom. She may end up having to file paperwork at the courthouse to become administrator of the estate and then she could get the check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">