• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deceased Mother's Federal Bonds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SoloMan89

My Mother passed away over two years ago in 2012. I do not have any siblings. My mother was divorced. My Father is still around but received no inheritance from my Mother.

However, I do have one Grandmother left, who was the Mother of my Mother.

My Mother has quite a few US Government Federal Bank Bonds. All of these bonds were in my Mother's name, but all of them either say "and" or "or" for the other name, and either have my Grandmother's name on them, or my Grandmother's Husband's name (my Grandfather) who died in 1998.

Me and my Grandmother were both in my Mother's will. My Grandmother does not want any of these bonds, and she wants me to have them.

The problem is, I am worried, if I do not get them switched over and my Grandmother passes away, I am VERY WORRIED that my greedy Aunt and Uncle will try and take them since my Grandmother's and Grandfather's names are also on the bonds (as "and" or "or".)

Some of the comments my uncle has made lately have me feeling very suspicious of him about what his intentions would be. And my aunt, well, let's just say I don't trust her very much either......

What can I do? Should I be worried about my Aunt and Uncle presuming that these bonds are part of their inheritance from my Grandmother, even though the primary Bond holder was my Mother herself?

PS, if you need any more information, let me know. I have the Bonds all in my possession, but I do not have them in front of me, as I have them locked in a fire safe at my Father's home for safe keeping. I have NO experience with bonds. All I know is that there are various types of bonds, and there is a different procedure for changing the name on them, for "and" or "or" type configurations. It is all very confusing to me. I just don't want to have my Mother's property stolen from me by her siblings should my Grandmother pass away, which is inevitable due to the fact that she is 88. Thank you.

Last edited:

LdiJ

My Mother passed away over two years ago in 2012. I do not have any siblings. My mother was divorced. My Father is still around but received no inheritance from my Mother.

However, I do have one Grandmother left, who was the Mother of my Mother.

My Mother has quite a few US Government Federal Bank Bonds. All of these bonds were in my Mother's name, but all of them either say "and" or "or" for the other name, and either have my Grandmother's name on them, or my Grandmother's Husband's name (my Grandfather) who died in 1998.

Me and my Grandmother were both in my Mother's will. My Grandmother does not want any of these bonds, and she wants me to have them.

The problem is, I am worried, if I do not get them switched over and my Grandmother passes away, I am VERY WORRIED that my greedy Aunt and Uncle will try and take them since my Grandmother's and Grandfather's names are also on the bonds (as "and" or "or".)

Some of the comments my uncle has made lately have me feeling very suspicious of him about what his intentions would be. And my aunt, well, let's just say I don't trust her very much either......

What can I do? Should I be worried about my Aunt and Uncle presuming that these bonds are part of their inheritance from my Grandmother, even though the primary Bond holder was my Mother herself?

PS, if you need any more information, let me know. I have the Bonds all in my possession, but I do not have them in front of me, as I have them locked in a fire safe at my Father's home for safe keeping. I have NO experience with bonds. All I know is that there are various types of bonds, and there is a different procedure for changing the name on them, for "and" or "or" type configurations. It is all very confusing to me. I just don't want to have my Mother's property stolen from me by her siblings should my Grandmother pass away, which is inevitable due to the fact that she is 88. Thank you.
You really just need to cash the bonds at this point, with your grandmother's assistance and put the cash in your own name or own investments. That will eliminate the entire problem.

SoloMan89

My Grandmother actually recommended this same thing (cashing them out) but I was just concerned that they had not yet fully matured. I suppose it may be best and the least complicated process to follow, though. Thanks.

PS, Is it entirely possible that my Aunt and Uncle could try to claim that this was their inheritance? Say, if I never cashed them out or changed the names on the bonds. Is my concern worthwhile?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">