• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deceased's Hospital Bills, $0 Assets @ Death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PMartinJ

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? OREGON (deceased)

(This is a more specific follow-up to an earlier post.)

My mother checked herself into a hospital in March, 2005, and died 3-4 days
later after being removed from life support equipment. She had no medical insurance; she was 64 years old when she died. The hospital bill is approximately $30,000.

My brother told the hospital to stop the life support equipment on the advice of the attending physician.

My brother and I - the only two surviving relatives - were contacted by the hospital after her admission (but before her death). We did not sign anything or otherwise indicate that we would be responsible for any of her affars.

My mother left no will. Her net worth was negative at the time of her death; there is essentially no money in the estate to pay any of her creditors.

Here is/are my question(s):

When a deceased patient's estate has essentially no assets, do hospitals typically pursue surviving relatives to pay outstanding bills? When/if they do, have hospitals been successful in collecting from surviving relatives?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">