• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

decedents medical records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jenben

What is the name of your state? Louisianna
My brother commited suicide this past Sept. (a big shock to my family, we all thought he was the one who had his sh-- together) They found a doctors name on the table beside him, and we found numerous medical receipts in his belongings. How do we get his medical records released? My father is power of attorney for his estate. He had no children and no wife. My father keeps dragging his feet and if there is something to be found I would like to find it and try to move on with my life. My father and I and the rest of the family live in Indiana. Please someone help us.:confused:

H

hexeliebe

I'm going to bump this up to the front ....I think it needs to be answered by one of the four horsemen

Dandy Don

Please explain why you would want the medical records.

Do you not know the name of the doctor and have you talked to the doctor or not?

Any physician can tell you how to get medical records.

Was there a suicide note and what was his reason for doing it?
Did he have a history of depression or despondency?

J

jenben

We are wanting his records to see if he maybe had contracted HIV or something and that was the reason for his suicide. He did have herpes and had it for quite a while and was dealing with it well. He had been hanging out at strip joints in New Orleans alot and maybe he did something he shouldn't have with one of the girls. We contacted his medical ins for his records and they told my dad that we had to get a court order to get them. Do we need a lawyer for that or is it possible to do on our own by filing the right paperwork. If so, what is the right paperwork? He didn't have a depression problem or any despondancy. He just took his life and we are trying to figure out why, if we can.

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Contacting his insurance company was not the correct thing to do but you probably didn't know better. There is an easier way.

Contact the doctor whose name you found on the table and he can advise you about how to get the medical records (sometimes you can order them from a private agency called the Medical Information Bureau) but most doctors will provide them if you contact them by phone or by mail.

Only a local attorney can advise you about how to go about getting the court order, if you decide to go that route.

Did your brother leave a suicide note or have you had the chance to talk to any of his friends about what might have happened?

JETX

Contrary to what you may have been told by others, since you are not the legal representative of his estate, you have no right to his medical records and would ONLY be able to get them under subpoena. And to get the power of subpoena, you have to have filed a lawsuit.

If an executor or administrator has been appointed of his estate, that person could make a formal request for the records.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">