• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DEED Questiion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

georgie george

After 13 years, a relative of mine informed me in July of this year I was in Joint Tenancy with her on a property I am currently living.

If I had known I was in this Joint Tenancy, I would have sold the property years ago, if that relative had either signed a Quit Claim Deed, thus releasing the entire property to me or I would have agreed to sell the property and we would have divided the proceeds equally, if she had refused.

With the market and the financial state the country is in now, it is virtually impossible to sell real estate. Now I am stuck here. And for years, this person knew I had wanted to move but needed the proceeds for the property I am living, in order to do so.

My question is: Is there a law which requires an individual to notify others their name is on such type of legal instrument as a Joint Tenancy Deed. And if there is such a law, what are the penalties for not notifying the other party of the Tenancy or where would I find the answer to such a question.

Thanks

anteater

You ignored the question about what state you are in. Property law varies by state.

Nevertheless, I will go out on a limb and say that I know no state that requires that you be notified of inclusion as a joint tenant on a property.

As for the rest of your post, sounds like nothing more than a failure to communicate.

georgie george

I am confused. Who do you think owned the property?
Thanks for responding. The other person owned the property totally, until 1995. At that time, she included me in a Joint Tenancy with her on the property.

However, this person didn't tell me I was in Joint Tenancy with her on the property, for the past 13 years. If I had known of this, I would have been able to move years ago.

I wanted to know was there a law which stipulates any person being placed in Joint Tenancy with another to be notified.

georgie george

You ignored the question about what state you are in. Property law varies by state.

Nevertheless, I will go out on a limb and say that I know no state that requires that you be notified of inclusion as a joint tenant on a property.

As for the rest of your post, sounds like nothing more than a failure to communicate.
Well, I appreciate your response, anteater. But don't you think it is somewhat of a stretch to say it was nothing more than a failure to communicate?

Actually, it was much, much more than than a failure to communicate. I can assure you of this. It was a malicious, dishonest, deceitful and just down right evil act, which is so representative of this person.

This person simply didn't want me to know I was in a Joint Tenancy with her because she either regretted having entered into Joint Tenancy with me. Or thought, after a time, she would live longer than I would and thus she would become sole owner again. But then again, who can say for sure.

Sorry about the not including where I lived. I live in Washington, DC.

curb1

Georgie George,
Why were you (in your mind) given the property in 1995? Who paid the property taxes all this time? How was the title of the property listed on the property taxes? Insurance statements, etc.?

tranquility

Deeds must be delivered to be valid. If you did not have "notification" that you were a joint tenant, you were not one.

So, what is your story now? Do you want there to be notification or no? One means you own nothing and the other means you are a joint tenant. Choose wisely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">