• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deeds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bethbum

What is the name of your state? West Virginia

The deed to my home is in joint survivorship with my husband and myself. I would like to know how to add my son's name to the deed so that when we are both gone the house goes immediately to him in order to keep a nursing home or someone else from getting the home.

I want my husband and myself to have all control over the property, he would only have control in the event of our deaths.

Thanks.

lwpat

You need to consult with an elder care attorney in your area.

There is more to consider than just adding his name to the deed.
There are the tax consequences of the transfer and also the need for long term care planning for the both of you. The paperwork needs to be handled correctly and only an attorney who can completely review your situation will be able to answer your questions.

M

marylu

Our attorney advised us to have a beneficiary deed made out to our son and in the event of our death our house would go directly to him. This has to be done in advance. He also said we could cancel it at any time. I have often asked your same question. Will medicaid or a nursing home or credit cards eventually get our home?

nextwife

I've heard of people conveying their property to their intended beneficiary well in advance of "need" and reserving a Life Esate so they can continue to live there indefinatley. But legally, they no longer "own" it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">