• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deeds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marshaann

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? pa

I am moving in my mothers house to help her she is 84
should she add my name to her deed along with hers or will her house to me when she dies

nextwife

What does one have to do with the other?

Why does moving in, and helping, "entitle" you to her house?

ShyCat

There are all kinds of issues with your mother adding you to the deed, such as, gift tax, Medicaid eligibility with 5 year lookback period, loss of step-up in cost basis, and making her home vulnerable to a judgment against you. The "benefits" do not include avoiding probate since she is retaining an ownership share.

anteater

Just to be "fair and balanced"...

One benefit, if mother survives at least one year after making the gift of an ownership interest, would be that the daughter's ownership share (presumably 1/2) would not be subject to the PA Inheritance Tax.

The "benefits" do not include avoiding probate since she is retaining an ownership share.
But if right of survivorship were included, the house would not be subject to probate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">