• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deployed husband/outdated will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

marjay

What is the name of your state? north carolina
Military husband deployed to middle east, but didn't update his will. Will says everything goes to daughter from previous marriage. He is telling me that I'm the beneficiary on his life insurance policy, so the will doesn't matter. Doesn't the will supercede everything else? If something happens to him, will I be stuck with all the bills and no life insurance?

Dandy Don

Will does supercede everything else, but I see no reason for alarm here, since it appears your husband has taken care of everything.

What you need to do, if he hasn't already told you, is to get the name and address of the insurance company and verify for sure that you are designated as the beneficiary and also find out what the value of the policy is, and find out now from the military what procedures you would need to implement to file a claim in the event of his death.

The estate will be responsible for paying his outstanding bills, not you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">