+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    gintod60 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1

    Question Dis-inheriting an adopted child

    My niece lives in Tx and both her and her sister were adopted. Their mother passed away one and 1/2 years ago and the father immediatly moved in another woman and told his daughters he is leaving everything to the new woman whom he did not marry. He passed away yesterday and the question is ..even tho the girls are now grown, can you legally do what this father has done which is legally dis-inherit adopte children?
  2. #2
    Betty is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Il.(near StL, Mo.)
    Posts
    3,299
    HI. If the father had a will, his estate would be distributed (after expenses) as he indicated (to whom he indicated). Unfortunately (if he did) he had the right to disinherit his adopted children- children can be disinherited also that are not adopted & can be left out of a will. If the father had no will, his estate (after expenses) would distributed per the Tx. Intestate Succession Law. Betty edited to correct spelling of my name - Betty
    Last edited by Betty; 02-06-2006 at 05:41 PM.
  3. #3
    BlondiePB is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Bikini Atoll
    Posts
    5,630
    can you legally do what this father has done which is legally dis-inherit adopte children?
    The children's names MUST appear in the will and MUST be specifically disinherited. Wait 30 days, then check for a probate file, and obtain a copy of the probate file.
  4. #4
    OHgurl2002 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    36

    Good Advice from Posters...

    everyone has given you good advice... the only other thing to consider is that if the father had no will, his girlfriend won't get a thing. (I am going on Ohio law and there may be inconsistencies). When a person dies intestate without a spouse, but with children (biological OR adopted - adopteds are treated as biologicals for purposes of law), the estate is divided between the children. If the a person dies intestate with a spouse (who is not the parent of his children) and children, BOTH receive a portion. I've never heard of including a g/f in intestate succession.
  5. #5
    Betty is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Il.(near StL, Mo.)
    Posts
    3,299
    Blondie - it is my understanding even in Tx. that a child (adopted or not) can be left out of a will & assets of will (after expenses, etc.) will go to the person named in the will to receive them -- even a girlfriend. I believe though that sometimes children contest & if it is decided the children were left out inadvertently, they would get share of proceeds. I understand the best thing to do when wanting to disinherit children from the will is to name them in the will & leave them a very small amt. of money. (rest to who you want to have your assets) If there is no will in this case we have here, children would share proceeds - nothing to girl friend - intestate succession law would apply. Thanks Betty P.S. Have a good evening. )
  6. #6
    BlondiePB is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Bikini Atoll
    Posts
    5,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    Blondie - it is my understanding even in Tx. that a child (adopted or not) can be left out of a will & assets of will (after expenses, etc.) will go to the person named in the will to receive them -- even a girlfriend. I believe though that sometimes children contest & if it is decided the children were left out inadvertently, they would get share of proceeds. I understand the best thing to do when wanting to disinherit children from the will is to name them in the will & leave them a very small amt. of money. (rest to who you want to have your assets) If there is no will in this case we have here, children would share proceeds - nothing to girl friend - intestate succession law would apply. Thanks Betty P.S. Have a good evening. )
    The children's father died yesterday. There has not been enough time here to determine whether or not there is a will. All the OP (original poster) has stated is "say-so". Also, look up Pretermitted Heir (spouse & children).
  7. #7
    Betty is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Il.(near StL, Mo.)
    Posts
    3,299
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondiePB
    The children's father died yesterday. There has not been enough time here to determine whether or not there is a will. All the OP (original poster) has stated is "say-so". Also, look up Pretermitted Heir (spouse & children).
    Blondie, I did read Pretermitted Heir (spouse/children) -- that is why I said it is best to put the children in the will that you want to disinherit & just give them a very small amt. of money so they know you didn't inadvertently leave children out of will. That is what I found -- is maybe the info I read not complete (I checked several places) & children entitled to some of estate even if not in will - the info I read said you could leave them out but they may contest. Bertie
  8. #8
    BlondiePB is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Bikini Atoll
    Posts
    5,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    Blondie, I did read Pretermitted Heir (spouse/children) -- that is why I said it is best to put the children in the will that you want to disinherit & just give them a very small amt. of money so they know you didn't inadvertently leave children out of will. That is what I found -- is maybe the info I read not complete (I checked several places) & children entitled to some of estate even if not in will - the info I read said you could leave them out but they may contest. Bertie
    When a testator wishes to leave a child/children nothing, not even a small amount, the testator still must name the child/children in his/her will and specifically state that the child/children is/are intentionally being disinherited. Intentionally being disinherited by name(s) is the key to Pretermitted Heir.

    You call yourself Bertie?
  9. #9
    shell007 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondiePB
    When a testator wishes to leave a child/children nothing, not even a small amount, the testator still must name the child/children in his/her will and specifically state that the child/children is/are intentionally being disinherited. Intentionally being disinherited by name(s) is the key to Pretermitted Heir.

    You call yourself Bertie?
    100% AGREE based on personal experience. The child/children must be named specifically in the will to be disinherited. Any other scenario leaves a lot of room for contesting the will.
  10. #10
    Betty is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Il.(near StL, Mo.)
    Posts
    3,299
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondiePB
    When a testator wishes to leave a child/children nothing, not even a small amount, the testator still must name the child/children in his/her will and specifically state that the child/children is/are intentionally being disinherited. Intentionally being disinherited by name(s) is the key to Pretermitted Heir.

    You call yourself Bertie?
    First off re name - sometimes Bertie -- should have signed it Betty (forgot)-just started using web site last week & under name Betty -- I forgot where I was for a moment - sr. moment I guess.
    I did do some add'l. checking & found one place where it did say as you indicate - say it in will that you want to disinherit a certain child or children --that would make the most sense. Betty (got it right this time)
  11. #11
    divgradcurl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    7,744
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondiePB
    When a testator wishes to leave a child/children nothing, not even a small amount, the testator still must name the child/children in his/her will and specifically state that the child/children is/are intentionally being disinherited. Intentionally being disinherited by name(s) is the key to Pretermitted Heir.

    You call yourself Bertie?
    Blondie,

    Where in the TX code is it required that heirs be specifically disinherited? I'm not saying it's not the case, but there are few states that require specific disinheritance. It may be a good idea to do so to avoid contests, but it's typically not legally required.

    This isn't a pretermitted heir situation. Pretermitted heirs in TX, as with most other states, means an heir that was born or adopted AFTER the will was written, and was not otherwise provide for. See TX probate code Sec. 67(c). If the father wrote or revised his will AFTER the children were adopted, they cannot be pretermitted heirs.

    But you are right, if there is no will, the adopted kids will take under TX intestate rules.
  12. #12
    BlondiePB is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Bikini Atoll
    Posts
    5,630

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by divgradcurl
    Blondie,

    Where in the TX code is it required that heirs be specifically disinherited? I'm not saying it's not the case, but there are few states that require specific disinheritance. It may be a good idea to do so to avoid contests, but it's typically not legally required.

    This isn't a pretermitted heir situation. Pretermitted heirs in TX, as with most other states, means an heir that was born or adopted AFTER the will was written, and was not otherwise provide for. See TX probate code Sec. 67(c). If the father wrote or revised his will AFTER the children were adopted, they cannot be pretermitted heirs.

    But you are right, if there is no will, the adopted kids will take under TX intestate rules.
    Thanks, divgradcurl. I read that and something else in TX code that apprears to conflict with 67(c). That's just another reason why attorneys, like you, are hired.
  13. #13
    Betty is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Il.(near StL, Mo.)
    Posts
    3,299
    Yes, thank you divgradcurl for clearing things up. Betty

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 89
    Last Post: 11-24-2008, 10:17 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-20-2005, 02:03 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 11:52 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 11:23 AM
  5. child support enforcement taking $ for adopted child in treatment center
    By WHITESWAN in forum Child Custody & Visitation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-30-2002, 12:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.