• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disbursement of inheritance / funds before death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

3stgs

My father passed in December, leaving my mother 100% of a sizable estate. He was 84, she is 81. The total estate (of which 90% is held by one financial planning company) amounts to close to $4 million. She loves to show my brother and I (we are the only 2 children) the balance sheets, telling us how our dad has done well in taking care of us financially.

While I will be eternally grateful for the inheritance, my main question is, does she have an incentive to hold all of the estate until her passing, rather than gifting? They have set up an irrevocable trust where my brother and I will receive equal shares of the estate upon her death, but what would the tax implications be as opposed to gifting at least some of the estate ($14000 per year maximum per individual if I'm not mistaken)? She is letting the planner sit on the money, a significant chunk of change, paying maintenance / broker fees. Are there any alternatives I'm not seeing?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My father passed in December, leaving my mother 100% of a sizable estate. He was 84, she is 81. The total estate (of which 90% is held by one financial planning company) amounts to close to $4 million. She loves to show my brother and I (we are the only 2 children) the balance sheets, telling us how our dad has done well in taking care of us financially.

While I will be eternally grateful for the inheritance, my main question is, does she have an incentive to hold all of the estate until her passing, rather than gifting? They have set up an irrevocable trust where my brother and I will receive equal shares of the estate upon her death, but what would the tax implications be as opposed to gifting at least some of the estate ($14000 per year maximum per individual if I'm not mistaken)? She is letting the planner sit on the money, a significant chunk of change, paying maintenance / broker fees. Are there any alternatives I'm not seeing?
I'm sure that your parents are passing this on to you as they wish. Just be patient...she'll die soon enough.

3stgs

Picking up on your sarcasm... I make 6 figures so I'm not looking for a handout, just checking her options. Dad was the financial guru, just want to get opinions if my mom is doing the right thing.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Picking up on your sarcasm... I make 6 figures so I'm not looking for a handout, just checking her options. Dad was the financial guru, just want to get opinions if my mom is doing the right thing.
For an estate of that size I'd recommend that she consult with an estate planning professional if she has questions. You are free to accompany her if she desires.

LdiJ

There certainly would be no tax advantage for her to gift money now. The estate is under the federal estate tax limit. On top of that, even if there were an advantage with state inheritance or estate taxes (you erased the question asking your state), at 81, any money she could gift now would be a drop in the bucket in the overall scheme of things.

Just Blue

For a few hundred of those "6 figures" you could take Mom to an attorney. ;)

3stgs

Found my tax question answer on Forbes website, should have stuck with doing my own footwork... 😕

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">