• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disclosure of will part 2

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jnkbell

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California
I posted a question a few weeks ago regarding disclosing a trust and will documents to my wife's brother, who was excluded from the trust and will. We sent him copies of the trust and the will, and he is still not satisfied. All documents were done by an attorney in California.

He still threatens legal action of some sort, claiming we are still holding information he is entitled to - all the financial particulars. If I understand correctly, being he is not a beneficiary of the trust, we are not legally obligated to give him any other information than the documents we've already supplied. I've been told it would take a judge's order - and it would be to the banking institution her parents were using, to obtain any other information.

Could you please tell me if we are understanding this correctly?

jnkbell

Told by whom?

Who is "we?"

If you are a trustee and/or probate estate personal representative, are you represented by an attorney?
"We" are my wife and I - it was her parents trust - both have passed and she was the successor trustee and the only beneficiary. As I said her brother was excluded, written out, of the trust and the will. This all happened two years ago.

The information about not being required to give any financial details was given to her by the attorney who did the trust for them, I just wanted to verify that information here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">