• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disrespected

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jenaynorth

What is the name of your state? Ohio
]
My father was killed in a private plan crash in 1999. in the state of kentucky. He had been married to my step mother for 16 years at that point. She was named his exector. He had a will and had alot of assets/money . He has 3 adult children and 1 minor child. The 3 adult children (my 2 brothers and I) are from my fathers 1st marriage. The minor child from my father and step mother. When my brother asked my step mother for a copy of his will she handed him an "outline" that looks as though she typed it up herself. In it, his children are mentioned just like that to received money/assets out of trust "A" when she pass away, but that is all she would show us. Do we have the right to our own copy of a will? If so how do we obtain one??? Is it public knowledge or do I have to have an attorney? We feel disrespected that we weren't even issued our own copy and she doesn't want to talk about anything without getting an atttitude. I want to stop going through her and take steps on my own and my brothers feel the same way
:confused:
Thank You[/FONT]

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

The minute she files probate (and if he had substantial assets it is REQUIRED) then go to the courthouse in the county where he resided and ask the clerk for a copy of the file.

Simple huh?

jenaynorth

BelizeBreeze said:
The minute she files probate (and if he had substantial assets it is REQUIRED) then go to the courthouse in the county where he resided and ask the clerk for a copy of the file.

Simple huh?
Thank you but one more questions. What type of documentation must I have when I go to the courthouse? Is it Probate court? Can I access any ofit on line?

Dandy Don

The will is normally filed within 30 days of the death, at the county courthouse probate court, so IF a will was filed for this estate, it is there, and you can get any copies of it (you should get a copy of every page in the file so you can understand what happened with the entire estate, or visit the courthouse in person to look at the file yourself). If you want to find if any information is available online, mention your father's name, date of death, and city/state where he died.

The problem here is that the "outline" she showed you may or may not be the actual copy of the will--she could be trying to mislead you or it may be correct. Another problem is that if there is a trust, you need to consult with a trust attorney to find out if your state allows a trust beneficiary to request a copy of the trust from the trustee and the associated accounting records, since trust documents are sometimes not filed publicly.

Another problem is that when a trust is used, all assets are normally put in the trust in order to avoid probate, so there may not be any probate done on this estate.

If you are not a trust beneficiary, then you will not be receiving the trust information.

If you had been named as a trust beneficiary you should have been contacted by now. Why have you waited so late to check into this?

It sounds like you may have been cheated out of what is rightfully yours, but after you look at the probate file documents (if there are any), consult an attorney for advice to see if you have rights to anything.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">