• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Distribution of a trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

titanomega

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

My grandmother set up an irrevocable trust with my Uncle(her son) as trustee. She died 2 years ago. My Uncle has carried on as he did before her death with a distribution of the dividends from the trust to my cousins and I. I would like to dissolve the trust. What are my rights as the beneficiary of the trust? Can a trust be written so that it can never be dissolved?

HandyAndyGuy

Trusts cannot drag on "forever," but you cannot dissolve or close it. Only the trustee, your uncle, can do that.

I wonder what his reason is for not closing down the trust. And why does he bother with distributing the dividends? He doesn't have to. He could just let them add up inside the trust.

Since he's in the mood to distribute the dividends, why doesn't he distribute the stocks?

I wonder if your grandmother put in there instructions about "when" to make the distributions. Perhaps, like waiting till you were 35 years old (and therefore sensible about money, as my mother said).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">