• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Division of estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amo

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I'm wondering what the "norm" is when it comes to dividing the estate between 2 siblings when there is real estate and annuities involved.
Does the estate get totaled then split, then does the person keeping the property give 1/2 to the other sibling or does the other sibling get what the fair market value is for the property? I think I might be getting the raw end of the deal.

Thanks!

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I'm wondering what the "norm" is when it comes to dividing the estate between 2 siblings when there is real estate and annuities involved.
Does the estate get totaled then split, then does the person keeping the property give 1/2 to the other sibling or does the other sibling get what the fair market value is for the property? I think I might be getting the raw end of the deal.

Thanks!
You'll need to give more details. Just because you are someone's sibling, doesn't mean that things are split a certain way. In order to answer the question, you would need to give your relationship to the person who has died, the exact wording of the name(s) on the deed, and whether or not the annuity has a beneficiary listed. What state did the person die in?

Have you read the threads at all, to realize how vague your question is?:confused:

Dandy Don

What does the will say and what is the value of the assets in this estate?

Annuities can have a designated beneficiary outside of the will (nd may not need to go through probate) and if there is a designated beneficiary and the will also mentions the annuity, the designated beneficiary takes priority over the will. The property certainly will have to go through probate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">