• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Division of will in question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rmingus

What is the name of your state? Washington

My grandfather recently died, and the will stated that everything, anywhere, "real or otherwise" was to be split equally between my aunt (executor), my cousin, and myself. He put my aunt as a cosigner on his bank accounts, I assume to make her job as executor easier, and supposedly told her that she was to receive this money.
So my question is, can the amount that was in the bank account be included in her third of the inheritance? Or will my aunt legally end up with more than what was willed to her?

Thank you,
rmingus

What is the name of your state? Washington

My grandfather recently died, and the will stated that everything, anywhere, "real or otherwise" was to be split equally between my aunt (executor), my cousin, and myself. He put my aunt as a cosigner on his bank accounts, I assume to make her job as executor easier, and supposedly told her that she was to receive this money.
So my question is, can the amount that was in the bank account be included in her third of the inheritance? Or will my aunt legally end up with more than what was willed to her?

Thank you,
rmingus
It depends on exactly how the account was titled, for example: right of survivorship. If that's the case, then the account passes outside of probate and is not affected by the will. Also, some states statutes assume ROS even if it's not specifically stated. Perhaps someone here who is more familiar with WA law will address that point.

Dandy Don

She will end up with more than what was legally willed to her. He wanted her to have the bank account money and it is automatically hers when the decedent died. The bank account money is NOT part of the estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">