• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have grounds to contest the will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ollieollie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

My father died recently, and we had been estranged for some time. He was physically abusive to me when I was a child, and I had minimal contact with him as an adult. His will leaves me a token amount ($100), which just seems monumentally unfair for everything he put me through.

I certainly dont have a case to contest the will for fraud or undue influence - but am wondering if I can claim against the estate for the abuse? There are records that could document it - police and social services files, family court records from when custody was revoked, restraining orders due to harassment in my teenage years (after he had already lost custody).

Does anyone think I could challenge this?

enjay

Let it go. He left you the $100 to make sure you couldn't claim that you were forgotten or that you should have an equal share of the estate.

moburkes

You need counseling. If he did something that was illegal, then charges should have been brought against him while he was alive. Getting money from his estate will not make you whole, but counseling will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">