• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to pay taxes on a testamentary trust in California?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LBGuy23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I'm 27 and my mother left me a testamentary trust of $30,000. It was in held in the trust for 5 years until I reached 27 and the trustee paid taxes on the interest earned over those 5 years. She just released it to me since I turned 27. What taxes do I have to pay on this and do I have to report it on my federal or state income tax forms? I live in California. The trust was set up in Florida and the estate was in Florida. The trustee wired the money to my bank account.

Thank You

anteater

No, the distribution of the principal from the trust is not taxable income. If by "just released", you mean in 2012, there is a possibility that some very small amount of the distribution represents interest income earned in 2012 that will be passed through to you on a Schedule K-1 next year. The trustee should be able to tell you.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">