• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DO I need to do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legalese

Connecticut , We made a living trust in 2006 With a Florida attorney ( my mom was living there but now is back in Conn) I am the trustee
I went to the bank recently and started talking and she said that even though I have a living trust we need to put my mom's accounts on the living trust. I thought the living trust took care of all that. ( my name is on the her bank accounts as well)
My mom also has rental properties.

legalese

justalayman

you have to either fund the trust prior to the trustor's death or have mechanisms in place to where the intended assets are placed in the trust after the trustor's death

FlyingRon

The bank is correct. A trust means nothing to things that are not owned by the trust. A will directs what to do with things after death (which you should have to catch things that don't get titled to the trust). A trust does not. You must move your real estate, vehicles, bank / investment accounts, etc... into the trust if you want them controlled by the trust. Your lawyer who drafted the trust should have advised you about this. Some things with named beneficiaries actually you are more advantageous if you do NOT put the trust as the beneficiary. Again you'd need to have competent (legal/financial) instruction as to what you should do with a particular resource.

legalese

I am looking for a lawyer that will only fund the trust not make a new one, correct? I am sure a lawyer might say I need a new trust. Can i fund the trust myself?

Last edited:

anteater

I am looking for a lawyer that will only fund the trust not make a new one, correct? I am sure a lawyer might say I need a new trust (costs more I am guessing)
Many grantors take care of funding the trust themselves. It generally isn't all that complicated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">