• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need to file probate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MasterSgt

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My Father passed away last year. He had been in a nursing home for years and owned nothing and had no income other than his social security. He had two small signiture loans that my brother and I were paying on until his death. We notified the bank of his death and told them he died indigent. There was nothing to probate. The smallest loan has since been forgiven. We are not paying on the other loan and it may be forgiven also.

We were recently notified that there is a $600 check at the courthouse that the nursing home sent them from an over payment that was made by his social security. Can we just leave it there and do nothing or are we required to sign for it which will begin probate. Would the check have to go on the loan or could we keep it to offset the money we paid on his funeral costs. There were no other creditors.

lwpat

To cash the check you will need to start probate. You can use the money to pay funeral expenses and then have the mortuary reimburse you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">