• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need a lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

probate confusion

My father died September of 2000 in California. All was left to our step-mother with the exception of one money market account, which was his separate property. My step-mother was the listed executor but has declined the responsibility. I am next in line. My step-mother is having a lawyer's office draw up a spousal property order to transfer all assets which were joint/community property. To date nothing has been processed in the county court. It is my understanding I have no recourse or legal rights to act as executor until our step-mother completes the necessary paperwork. I am beginning to become concerned about the amount of time which is passing without having the will filed, notices published, notification sent to beneficiaries. This is not a completed estate as there will be one money market account to submit to probate. Can my step-mother be held accountable for not fulfilling her obligations and why would a law firm not handle the basics when it is handling the transfer of property? How does one find a lawyer to answer questions without handling the minor probate proceedings? Thank you in advance for any guidance.

ALawyer

You can probably hire a CA law firm by the hour for guidance, but many firms do not want to handle minor matters as the costs and hassle to open a file, check against conflicts, try to give good advice quickly and then face liability or claims if someone is unhappy are too great.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">