• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need a will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

concerned GF

I am a single woman who owns my own home, what would happen to my estate if I should die without a will?

ALawyer

One of your statutory heirs -- and they vary by state -- would go to court, ask to be appointed personal representative or admininstrator of youe estate, buy a bond (an insurance policy) to assure faithful performance, put the house up for sale, possibly have to get court permission to sell (in many states - this drives the price down as a buyer knows there may be a fly in the ointment) and then split the money and other proerty in the percentages state law provides, such as to your children equally (single moms may have kids), if any, if not to both parents equally, if not to your living siblings and children of deceased siblings, if none to living aunts and uncles and the children of deceased aunts and uncles.

Do a Will. It really makes sense!

------------------
To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. This response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. As you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">