• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Documentary on wills : seeking info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

willsdoc

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a new television documentary series about wills and am hoping that some feedback from this forum could be helpful in my research.

The intention of the series is to profile the experiences of people who have had an impacting will read in their family and how it has affected the family relationships after the fact. We want to look at the reasons why relationships sometimes go awry after a will is read.

Unfortunately people are rarely prepared for the emotional impact of a will reading and it is our hope that this series can educate people on what to expect during this difficult time.

Some questions we have at the moment are:
i. Is it common for people that are ill to make last minute changes to their will?*
ii. What is the general legal will reading process followed after a person passes away?
iii.. How long after their death is a will generally read?
iv. What are the key matters concerning a will that have the greatest impact on the relationships of the family members involved?
v. What legal action can family members take if they disagree with the outcome of the will?*

We are also looking for real stories from families that have had to endure complicated will readings. We do not require real names or exact details, but more a general idea of what happens in a family relationship before, during, and after the reading of a will.

We are also hoping to find an expert on wills to appear on the show, so I would love to hear from any qualified professionals who might be interested.

Thanks in advance for your feedback. Please feel free to send any stories or comments to: [email protected]

Kindest regards,
Murray

anteater

Murray -- Apparently you need to do a lot more background reading. Wills are rarely "read." Except on TV or in film.

However, on those rare occasions when there is a reading of the will, my experience is that the participants come armed with Glock 29's and settle any disputes the old fashioned way.

ADDITION: AND STOP POSTING ON EVERY BLOODY FORUM!

BlondiePB

Murray -- Apparently you need to do a lot more background reading. Wills are rarely "read." Except on TV or in film.

However, on those rare occasions when there is a reading of the will, my experience is that the participants come armed with Glock 29's and settle any disputes the old fashioned way.

ADDITION: AND STOP POSTING ON EVERY BLOODY FORUM!
In addition to learning about squibblings and greedlings, perhaps Murray should contact movie & TV producers/writers. :D

willsdoc

Duly noted! (Repeat posts have been deleted).

I've only just begun the research process and apparently I have a lot to learn, the same things that our potential viewers will be learning as well. I appreciate the feedback.

Regards,
Murray

tecate

Aside from situations in which one family member rips off others (by causing changes to estate plans) if you focus on the stories of those who thought they had "rights" only to learn it was their parents (or other relative) who held all of the cards, and that the only persons who profit from their trying to enforce those "rights" are their attorneys, it would be interesting.

This website is littered with (sob) (angry) (bummer) stories posted by persons thinking they have "rights." The best are from family members not in line to inherit, but thinking that because they are flesh and blood, it is only "fair" for them to get something.

Talk to probate litigators for more. Your story might function as a splash of cold water for many.

anteater

Murray -- Since you took the ribbing with class, let me suggest that people might be reluctant to email a generic Gmail account unless they have plenty of disposable email addresses.

Maybe, if you turn on Private Messaging in your profile, posters here would be willing to send you PM's.

If this documentary works out for you, you could probably do a second series regarding Powers of Attorney - abusers and unintended consequences thereof. It might be called "Attorneys-In-Fact Gone Wild." Straight to DVD!

Last edited:

willsdoc

Thanks very much for the advice. I've enabled the private messaging function on my profile so if anyone has any information or stories they would like to share then they can feel free to send it.

In the meantime, I'll keep doing my research on my end as I wrap my head around this whole subject. Lots to learn!

Cheers,
Murray

momm2500

OH THIS COULD BE FUN! Will it have the J Springer atmosphere too? That was my 1/2 sister's uncle who is also my dad and he wants more inheritance**************.sorry got carried away.

BlondiePB

If this documentary works out for you, you could probably do a second series regarding Powers of Attorney - abusers and unintended consequences thereof. It might be called "Attorneys-In-Fact Gone Wild." Straight to DVD!
Then the third part could be about trusts - "As The Trust Turns Into The Trustee's Pocket."

BlondiePB

Thanks very much for the advice. I've enabled the private messaging function on my profile so if anyone has any information or stories they would like to share then they can feel free to send it.

In the meantime, I'll keep doing my research on my end as I wrap my head around this whole subject. Lots to learn!

Cheers,
Murray
We all just love a good sport, Murray.

So regarding your research, the first thing I'm going to suggest to you is to go to a bookstore (i.e. Barnes & Noble) and buy a book about the probate process. That will provide you with a general idea of how things are supposed to happen.

Keep in mind each state here in the U.S. has it's own probate code/statutes, so things are different in regards of how things are supposed to happen in 50 states. That's why the name of the state one is in is so important here on this forum.

You'll have a lot of material just with wills because you also will have to deal with halographic wills, codicils, and pour-over-wills. All this reading & research will keep you busy for a very, very, long time.

Murray,

If reading the stories on this forum don't give you enough material, go to any probate court anywhere in the country and watch it all happen live: the greedlings, the squibblings, the lawyers, etc.

Pick a case or twelve with interesting characters and then go read the file ... you'll have all the drama you need, especially if there is more than one family involved from multiple marriages, or a lot of money and people who've waited all their lives to inherit, or children who think money is a proxy for what they think they didn't get during their lives ... or ... or ... well you get the picture.

tecate

You might look at the posting "Trust Distribution Help" for an interesting story about how son didn't get everything he thought he had coming, so he figured out a way to just take the rest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">