• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

documents for property gifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nguyen99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi,

I would like to give $13000 worth of my property to my relative per year and do this till $200K worth of property value.

1) Is it possible to setup property gifting this way? (meaning a. give certain amount of value per year and b. stop till certain value)

2) What are the documents or procedures to set this up?

thanks for information

FlyingRon

Are we talking real estate here? Where is the $200K coming from? Is that the FMV of the property?

Anyhow in addition to the $13,000 annual exclusion from gift tax, there's also a $1 Million lifetime exclusion for all reportable (over $13,000) gifts. If you don't anticipate giving away other sums you could just give it outright now.

Of course, depending on your situation, the gift may be a bad idea for you and perhaps disadvantageous to the recipient.

nguyen99

Thanks for the reply, yeah, is it the house, I bought it @$600k a few years ago.
do I
1) Need to have it appraised for this purpose?

2) Do I need to setup trust on this property? If so who will be the grantor and grantee can it both be myself?

3) How to document the $13000 worth of gift in this case?

Thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">